Do you think you could go a day? A week? A month? or even a year without yelling? Join me in The Orange Rhino Challenge™ and follow along as we support each other in our individual goals. My goal was 365 days and is now another 365 days…but pick a goal that works for you! No goal is too small!
Here’s how you can TAKE THE ORANGE RHINO CHALLENGE™:
1) Join Me on Facebook to find a supportive community of parents who share your same goals. Whenever I post “Toot your Rhino Horn” post your progress in the comments section below (read this blog post for more info). One of my many mottos is all progress is progress, no matter how big or small.
2) Get Support. Use The Orange Rhino Facebook page as a place to find support…a place to laugh…and a place to yell (politely of course)! Post when you want to yell, instead of yelling. Share about a specific trouble area, a time when you know you always yell, and ask others for advice. Ask me questions. The best part about The Orange Rhino™ Facebook page is that it is free of judgement but full of encouragement.
3) Set a Goal and Publicly Announce it. According to the fancy people who know about reaching goals (not me!) publicly announcing a goal is a great way to achieve it (it’s worked for me!) Post a comment below or on our Facebook page introducing yourself and sharing your personal The Orange Rhino Challenge™ goal. Remember, it doesn’t have to be 365 days, it just has to be a goal that motivates you. Read here for ideas.
4) Track your Yelling for 3-5 days. Write down who you yelled at, when, why, how you felt, what was on your mind to determine personal triggers (tired? time of day?) and triggers that are easy to change (clothes fight in the morning). Find my tracking sheet here.
5) Get your friends involved. If you will chronicle your journey on your blog, link your blog below and encourage your friends to join you. The more the merrier and the more support for you! And don’t forget to add my button (it’s on the right!) to your posts so that others can follow along on this communal journey.
6) Practice, Practice, Practice! It took me some time to get into the groove. Don’t be too hard on yourself if it takes a bit and please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are feeling frustrated! I started this blog for support but also to GIVE support. We are all in this together.
For even more information on getting started, read 12 Steps To Stop Yelling At Your Kids. In this post I summarize and organize everything that I did during my first year of not yelling.